History of Stags' Leap
Stags' Leap winery is one of the oldest and grandest estates in the esteemed Napa Valley region. In fact, this beautiful vineyard proudly takes its place amongst the pioneers of the American wine industry, with its vines first planted well over a century ago.
The history of Stags' Leap winery began back in 1872, when the very first grapes were planted by T.L. Grigsby. However, it would be about a decade later that prominent socialites Horace Chase and Minnie Mizner coined the name ‘Stags' Leap’. The name was inspired by a local legend and has stuck for more than a century!
During this time, the happy couple also built a beautiful home to live in, overlooking the property. The first commercially labelled ‘Stags' Leap’ wine was produced in 1893, and between then and 1905, tens of thousands of gallons of wine were produced.
Meanwhile, the Manor at Stags' Leap was known for its raucous parties - many of which were attended by A-Listers, including actors and even the occasional royal.
Around 1905, the property stopped producing its own label, although its grapes were sold to other producers in the region. It wouldn’t be until 1972 that the proud tradition of winemaking resumed at the estate, with the intrepid Carl Doumani at the helm.
There were an experimental few years at Stags' Leap, with a significant replant of its vineyards in 1988. Since then, it’s been a label on the rise - and current winemaker, Christophe Paubert, has certainly steered Stags' Leap to grand new heights.