Situated on the left bank of the Danube River, Giurgiu is a beautiful port city. The city was established in the 14th century by merchants from Genoa trading in silks and velvets. Giurgiu played an important role in the struggle for control of the lower Danube by Turks, Russians and others. In the 1950's, the U.S.S.R. helped build the beautiful Friendship Bridge across the Danube linking Giurgiu, Romania with Russe, Bulgaria. Don't miss the monumental buildings of Le Tour de l'Horloge and the Comana Monastery which represent extensive Romanian architectural history.